The Custom Study Template in SennsLab
The custom template is used to create a completely personalized experiment with images, video or screen recording. No calibration or familiarization tasks are included in custom experiments.
Note: Custom Template experiments produce raw data only. There is no automatic analysis of emotion or cognition data in these experiments.
The custom study template is designed for users who are interesting in applying their own analysis to EEG and physiological data.
The custom study template is a custom template.
To setup a custom study:
- Enter Tasks:
This is a set of images, videos, or open sessions presented to the participant. Click on the "Add" button to create a task. The task can be named via the "Name:" field under task description.
- Choose Task Type and Upload:
Choose "Free", "Image" or "Video" as the task type. Use the button to upload the appropriate stimulus file (for image or video).
- Configure Task Duration and Behavior:
If "Variable" is selected, the task will end when the test moderator advances the experiment. Otherwise, enter a duration for the task time, between 1 second and 1 hour.
- Choose Randomization Behavior:
If Randomize is checked, that particular stimulus event will be presented in random order. Otherwise, tasks will appear in the order they are listed on the left side of the screen. Use the button to change the order of tasks.
- Choose Task Behavior
Select "show all tasks as a single sequence" to display the entire experiment (with fixed timing) continuously once started. Otherwise, the experiment will pause at the end of each task and the test moderator will have to manually start each.
- (Image Only) Define Areas of Interest (AOI):
An AOI is a specific region of the image that is defined to allow for statistical comparison between different parts of the picture (or between similar AOI in multiple pictures). Once an image is loaded, click on the button to define AOI. For more information on AOI, see "Guide to Areas of Interest".
- (Video Only) Define Interval of Interest (IOI):
An Interval of Interest is an optional design tool that allows you to define a segment of a video for statistical comparison with other segments within the video, or similar segments in other target videos. Once a video is loaded, click on the button to define IOI. For more information about creating IOI, see Guide to Intervals of Interest.
Some important considerations when using the custom template:
- SennsLab will resize images to fit the presentation screen size and resolution (without changing the aspect ratio). If you use images that are too small for the screen size, these could appear pixelated. Consider formatting your images in advance to the correct resolution.
- Acceptable image formats are: .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .bmp
- Acceptable video formats are: .avi, .mpeg, .mpg, .wmv, and .mp4
- The stimulus computer must be capable of playing the codec used to create the videos. If you have trouble playing a particular video in SennsLab, try converting to .avi format.